Bortolli Bean Stew By Chef Tom Hunt
- Bortolli bean stew: 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 carrots with tops (carrots finely diced, topskept for the pesto)
- 200g tomatoes, cut into 1-2 cm pieces
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 240g cooked borlotti beans, plus the cookingliquid
- For the pesto: 25g carrot tops, well cleaned, plus extra togarnish
- 25g basil, parsley or oregano
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp pine nuts or bread crumbs toasted
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan or nutritional yeast
- 110ml extra virgin olive oil
- To serve: breadcrumbs, lemon zest, chopped herbs,extra virgin olive oil
To make the borlotti bean stew, heat a heavybased
pan with two tablespoons of extra virgin
olive oil over medium-low heat.
two cloves of garlic and add them to the pan
still in the skin with a small sprig of
rosemary and a bay leaf.
Add the carrots to the
pan and gently sauté for five minutes, then
stir in the tomatoes. Add the vinegar and bring
to a boil.
Add the cooked beans with 150ml of
cooking liquid, bring to a boil with a lid on
top, and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
lid and continue cooking until the liquid
begins to thicken. Season and serve topped with
pesto and carrot tops.
To make the pesto, finely chop the carrot tops
and basil or other herbs and place them in a
food processor, along with the garlic clove,
pine nuts or breadcrumbs, parmesan or
nutritional yeast and 110ml of olive oil.
Pulse-blend until you have a rough but even
Use immediately or store in a clean, sealed jar
in the fridge for up to a week.