Rajma (Kidney Bean Stew) By Chef Shrimoyee Chakraborty
This is a hearty and very popular beans recipe from North India and is a daily staple in many homes in India. The recipe is extremely simple, nutritious and delicious all at the same time. This is my version, there are several versions of it and I’m sure the recipe changes in each home.
- Kidney Beans (500 grams, you can also used the tinned version)
- Ginger and Garlic Paste (2 tablespoons)
- Fresh green chilli paste (made out of 1 chilli)
- Butter (2 big table spoons)
- Black pepper (1/2 tea spoon)
- Salt (as per your taste)
- Tomato (2 tomatoes puréed)
- Garam Masala powder (1 teaspoon)
- Double Cream (1 tablespoon)
Heat one tablespoon of butter and add in the ginger and garlic paste and cook on medium heat for about 3-5 mins (till the water evaporates).
Then add in the green chilli paste, garam masala, black pepper and salt and cook for a minute or two.
Then add in the tomato purée and cook on medium heat for 2 mins till the water starts to disappear and you can see the oil releasing from the sides.
Then add in the soaked kidney beans and mix well. Mash a couple of them to thicken the sauce.
Let it cook on medium heat with the lid on for about 5 mins.
Finish with cream and butter, mix well.
Garnish with some fresh coriander. Serve hot with rice/ chapati / grains and a wedge of lime and some raw onions on the side.
Note: Cook time is 40 minutes without pressure cooker, and 10 minutes if using canned beans.